Moving to a new home can be both exciting and challenging. Between wondering ‘what are some reputable long distance moving companies near me?’ and getting everything in order for finally relocating, it’s understandable if you can’t catch a break.
The following advice is here to help you handle one of the most stressful parts, packing, by getting you familiar with terms that are crucial to the moving process.
How do I pack before a move?
Though stressful, with the right planning and proper organization, even packing can be a breeze. Knowing about all the important bits of the moving process can help you avoid making mistakes when changing residence and make even moving with your children painless.
1. Preparation of the space
Before you start placing all of your personal items in boxes, you want to prepare the space first. This serves to make the work that follows easier. Here’s what you need to do:
- Declutter: Getting the house somewhat tidy will help you store items in boxes in an organized way later. You’ll be able to put things of the same category together, and it’ll be easier to do it if there’s no mess you have to work around.
- Dispose of useless items: This is the right time to finally get rid of things you don’t need or use. Broken electronics, old clothes, unused furniture, none of these things are worth paying the transport costs for, and now’s the right time to leave them behind.
- Sell or donate: If there are things that have some value, but you have no use for them, it’s best to sell or donate them prior to the move.
2. Packing process
Here’s what you’ll need to keep in mind and use when it comes to the packing itself:
- Supplies: You’ll need plenty of containers to pack, heavy-duty tape to ensure they are closed, and markers for labeling. Don’t shy away from using what you already have, there’s no need to spend a lot of money on brand-new supplies.
- Technique: Always pack in an organized way, and it’s best to do it by room. Secure the fragile items with bubble wrap, paper or similar.
- Take inventory: As you place things in boxes for transport, write down what you have and where you’ve put it. You’ll be grateful to yourself when you have to unpack, and you’ll notice quickly if something’s missing.
3. Hiring movers
Hiring movers to help you on this journey can help immensely, even if you decide to handle parts of the process yourself. The goal is to be able to handle hiring movers with confidence and ease. You’ll want to know how to spot unprofessional moving companies quickly and protect yourself from moving fraud. Knowing the terminology can help with this.
Here are some terms you’ll often hear during this time:
- Type of service: Full-service, partial, and self-service. Which one you book in the end depends on whether you need help with everything, including packing, or just transport.
- Cost estimates: Every company will offer you a price estimate based on your requests. These estimates can be binding or non-binding.
- Insurance: Since all your belongings will be loaded and transported, you’ll want to know what are your options if something gets lost or damaged in the process.
- Bill of lading: This is a document that serves as a type of contract between you and your movers. It details the type, quantity, and destination of items being carried. It also contains clauses about liability in case something derails from the original plan.
- Cancellation policy: Canceling or postponing due to circumstances can always happen, and you should know your rights, obligations, and options in case that happens.
What is one of the best long-distance moving companies near me?
Are you planning to move from your home in City Heights soon? Is your new residence somewhat far from the original one, putting additional pressure on you to make sure everything goes well? Then let the experts from Chief Moving take the stress out of your relocation!
Contact us today to learn more about our moving services and schedule a consultation. Our team of professionals will work with you every step of the way to ensure a seamless transition to your new home. Don’t wait, book your move now and experience the ease and convenience of working with a trusted company!